05/06/2008

My Ubuntu Life: Firefox Fonts Setting

Ubuntu has boundled the hotest web browser "Firefox" as its default browser. I have used it since its first released version and happy with its performance and hundreds of add-on repositories it provided. But a tricky thing was bothering me: font setting. Firefox provides various font settings corresponding to different encoding webpages. Users can easily change those setting via Menu->Edit->Preference->Content->Fonts & Colours. However, there is NO Unicode-related setting while UTF-8 encoded pages are surfed.

I learned from many advanced users online indicate that Firefox tends to use combined font setting while decoding an UTF-8 encoded page. Although I can't really understand how it works, I tried out a configure suited my laptop (trial and error, of course).

Here is my font setting for Firefox. It works fine with all BIG5, UTF-8 encoding webpages to me. Of course I copy some fonts from my Windows XP into Ubuntu first, like "Tahoma" and "微軟正黑體".

1. open a new tab and type "about:config" in the address bar.
2. type "font" in the filter bar.
3. find variables listed below and change their value

font.default.x-unicode Tahoma
font.minimum-size.x-unicode 13
font.minimum-size.x-western 13
font.minimum-size.zh-CN 13
font.minimum-size.zh-TW 13

font.name.monospace.x-unicode 文泉驛正黑
font.name.monospace.x-western 文泉驛正黑
font.name-monospace.zh-CN Tahoma
font.name-monospace.zh-TW WenQuanYi Bitmap Song

font.name.sans-serif.x-unicode 文泉驛正黑
font.name.sans-serif.x-western Tahoma
font.name.sans-serifzh-CN 微軟正黑體
font.name.sans-serif.zh-TW WenQuanYi Bitmap Song

font.name.serif.x-unicode 文泉驛正黑
font.name.serif.x-western Tahoma
font.name.serif.zh-CN 微軟正黑體
font.name.serif.zh-TW WenQuanYi Bitmap Song

font.size.fixed.x-unicode 13
font.size.fixed.zh-CN 13
font.size.fixed.zh-TW 13

font.size.variable.x-western 13
font.size.variable.zh-CN 13
font.size.variable.zh-TW 13







大會報告

22/Apr., 2010. Ford new Mondeo TDCi 交車


Intense Debate Comments